A. Categories of Strategic Investments
Strategic investments are divided into sub-categories, depending on the conditions required for inclusion per category.
A.1 Strategic Investments 1
Þ Total Budget: > 75.000.000 € or
Þ Total Budget: > 40.000.000 € and Annual Work Units (AWU): 75
A.2 Strategic Investments 2
Þ Total Budget: > 20.000.000 € concerning one or more of the following sectors: agri-food, research and innovation, biotechnology, cultural and creative industry, robotics, artificial intelligence, medical tourism, waste management, space industry, or if the investment concerns the digital transformation of the business or the provision of cloud computing.
Þ Total Budget: > 30.000.000 € and AWU: ≥ 50
Þ Investments within Organized Receptors of Manufacturing and Business Activities: Total Budget: > 20.000.000 € and AWU: ≥ 40
A.3 Emblematic Investments of Great Significance
Þ Investments implemented by distinguished legal entities that promote the green economy, innovation, technology, the economy with a low energy and environmental footprint, as well as investments that significantly strengthen the Greek economy and its competitiveness at an international level
A.4 Fast-track Strategic Investments
Þ Total Budget: > 20.000.000 € and AWU: ≥ 30
Þ Total Budget: > 10.000.000 €, AWU: ≥ 30 and are part of an investment, which has already been classified as strategic and its implementation has been completed
Þ Total Budget: > 15.000.000 €, it maintains AWU: ≥ 100 they are existing investments, classified as strategic or not they proceed to a restructuring or modernization or expansion of their facilities
A.5 Automatically classified as Strategic Investments
Þ Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) (regardless of the budget)
Þ Projects of Common Interest (PCI) (regardless of the budget)
Þ Projects of Common European Interest (IPCEI) (regardless of the budget)
Þ Investments of spatial organization of enterprises (development of business parks of Law 3982/2011), in an area of more than 500 acres and with a total budget of > 10,000,000 euros
Special provisions for Renewable Energy Investments (RES)
Investments in energy production units are classified as Strategic Investments, if, cumulatively with the individual conditions of the category they apply for, they also meet the following two (2) conditions:
a. They fall into one of the following categories:
Þ Systems that combine a power plant from RES and a system for the production of "green" hydrogen, provided that the generated electricity is exclusively used for the production of hydrogen
Þ Installations of offshore wind and/or floating photovoltaic parks RES projects that interconnect areas of the country via submarine cable, which areas have not been interconnected and are not planned to be interconnected with the National Electricity Transmission System, in accordance with the approved, at the time of the application for inclusion, Ten-Year Development Plan of the National Electricity Transmission System
Þ RES projects of fully controlled electricity generation according to par. 14 of article 2 of law 4414/ 2016 (A' 149)
b. They have a budget of at least 75.000.000 euros
B. Incentives and Benefits granted
The following categories of incentives and benefits are granted, linked to the specific categories of Strategic Investments, as specifically mentioned above.
Up to ten (10) executives of the implementing entity with their families are granted with a Residence Permit in Greece, while they may maintain their tax residence abroad, for the income that is not acquired in Greece.
B.2 Spatial Development Incentive – (ESHASE) (Article 7)
It is possible to draw up Special Plans for the Spatial Development of Strategic Investments (ESHASE), which is approved by a Presidential Decree.
B.3 Tax Incentives (Article 8)
The following Tax Incentives are granted:
1. Stabilization of income tax rate for 12 years, from the completion of the investment plan.
2. Tax exemption i.e. the exemption from the payment of the income tax on the profits made before taxation, that derive, based on the tax legislation, from all the activities of the enterprise, after the deduction of the tax of the legal entity, which corresponds to the profits distributed or withdrawn.
3 Acceleration ofthe tax depreciation of fixed assets that have been included in a particular investment plan by increasing the relevant rates by 100%. The final increased rate may not exceed 40%, in case the initial depreciation rate is more than 20%.
B.4 Fast-track Licensing (Article 9)
All licenses and approvals for the implementations of Strategic Investments including spatial permits are issued within forty-five (45) calendar days.
B.5 Subsidies (Article 10)
For investments classified as strategic, benefits are provided in the form of a grant, consisting of providing capital to cover part of the aided costs and calculated as a percentage of them.
B.5.1. Eligible Costs
1. Subsidy for the recruitment of disadvantaged workers and persons with disabilities, in accordance with Articles 32 and 33 of Regulation (EU) 651/2014. This benefit/aid, summed together with any other State aid received by the implementing entity, may not exceed EUR 5.000.000 (per investment project).
2. Subsidy for research and development projects, in accordance with Article 25 of Regulation (EU) 651/2014, in cases where the project concerns industrial research, experimental development or feasibility studies. The aid granted in this category, summed with any other State aid received by the implementing entity, may not exceed:
· EUR 20.000.000/ investment project, for industrial research projects
· EUR 15.000.000/ investment project, for experimental development projects
· EUR 7.500.000/ investment plan for feasibility and preparation studies
B.5.2. Subsidies for "Emblematic Investments of Great Significance”
Investment projects that are classified as “Emblematic Investments of Great Significance" may also receive the following benefits, alternatively or cumulatively:
1. Cash grants, consisting of the provision of capital by the State to cover part of the aided costs as a percentage of them.
2. Leasing subsidies, consisting by the State covering part of the lease instalments paid.
3. Subsidies for employment, consisting by the State covering part of the wage costs, for the new jobs created and are linked to the investment project.
The above benefits are granted as individual benefits/aid, either under Regulation (EU) 651/2014, or following an approving decision of the European Commission.
For this category, investments that are implemented within the Delignification Zones (Z.A.P.) may receive this benefit/aid at a rate of one hundred percent (100%), calculated on the percentage of the aid intensity provided for under Regulation (EU) 651/2014. Investments implemented outside the Z.A.P., may receive the above mentioned aid at the rate of eighty percent (80%).
All the Incentives provided in each Investment Category can be found here.